2010 was an year of mixed bag for Bollywood with some of the biggies like Dabangg, Rajneeti, Golmaal 3 setting the cash registers ringing while others like Guzaarish,Raavan,Kites tanking without a trace. But the year truely belonged to the small budgeted movies which time and again have proved that exotic locations and huge starcasts are not the essential ingredients for a good movie but its the eefective story telling and execution that makes a delicious receipe. So here I present to you My top 5 picks of 2010
1. Udaan :Without a shadow of doubt this one for me is the best movie of 2010. It infact was rated as the 8th best movie worldwide for the year 2010 by a reputed magazine. Brilliantly scripted by Vikramaditya Motwane and Anurag Kashyap, Udaan is your unsual coming of an age story of a young boy and his relationship with his father. It is the exemplory treatment of this simplistic idea that sets Udaan apart from other movies. Not to forget the powerful performances by Rajat Barmecha and Ronit Roy who suck you in the drama as its being unfolded. For those of you who havent watched this gem, do yourselves a favour and catch this one up.
2. Dabangg: Now this could be a put up for debate but still dabangg for me is the second best movie of 2010 for the shear entertainment dose this movie provides its viewers. I always wondered that after watching Salman’s movies in the recent past like Yuvvraj etc that when will I get the “Salman” back what he is actually known for.When will he stop sleeping past his roles wich he has been doing lately. But I never knew that all that was required for that was Police Uniform and black shades hung on his back collar, and Salman was back with a bang. Also the classic one liners and the desi music added the extra flavour required to this roller coaster ride. But alas the show completely belonged to our Chulbul Pandey.
3. Love, Sex aur Dhokha: You sometimes go to watch a movie with no expectations whatsoever but come out awestruck wondering what a great piece of art you jus saw inside. LSD is one of those few movies which leaves an everlasting impression on you and its difficult I must say to forget thinkiing about it once you are out of the cinema hall.Shot on a digital camera and directed by the National award Winnere Dibakar Banerjee LSD is an unconventional narrative about three diverse stories which at the end you find are related to each other in an unusual way. What really amazed me was the way Banerjee used the “CAMERA” as one of the main characters to use it as a medium of story telling. Well Hollywood this is our answer to your “Blair Witch Project”.
4. Peepli [Live]: Another testimony to what brand Aamir Khan is all about.Peepli [Live] manages to speak about the very neglected subject of the farmer suicides in India through a satire.The best part is that at no point does the film gets preachy or starts offering solutions to the grave issue. It’s a mere tool that the makers have used to discuss bureaucracy, the rural and urban divide and lack of concern of the administration. Hats off to Anushka Rizvi for choosing such a concerning issue and executing it with utmost conviction. Not to forget Omkar das manikpuri as Natha who delivers volumes just through the state of helplessness he goes through. Though not making a cut to the final 5 of the Academy Awarda Peepli[Live] is an honest effort that needs to be appreciated.
5. Rajneeti: This political drama has the abilty to hold your attention despite its long running length. A contemporary take on the epic Mahabharat,Rajneeti is a is a human drama, a complex game that people indulge in to achieve power and how this greed envelopes them and transforms them into ruthless and conniving humans.The strength of Rajneeti lies in its actors wheather it be the ever-reliable Nana Patekar or our bollywood hunk Arjun Rampal. Special mention needs to be given to the taleneted Manoj Bajpai who hasnt quite got his due in the industry. The best part about the director Prakash Jha is the way he handles his characters giving ample space to each of his leads to deliver a sparkling perfomance.
Guys, please do post in your top movies of 2010..